UdonSharp 0.x (the .unitypackage version) is deprecated and no longer supported. This new version is easy to get through the Creator Companion, which will help you keep it up-to-date as well. We recommend you Migrate your Projects using the Creator Companion. If you want to do the migration manually, read Manual Migration.
New Features in UdonSharp 1.0
- More C# features in your UdonSharp programs:
ref, and default parameters
- Extension methods
- Inheritance, virtual methods, and abstract classes
- Partial classes
- Multi-edit multiple UdonSharp scripts in the Unity inspector
- Prefab variants, instances, and nesting are now fully supported
- Editor scripting has been overhauled and simplified
- Compiler fixes and optimizations
- Fixed various bugs, edge cases, and other rough edges
Issue: UdonSharp always warned against using nested prefabs, and now they will completely break in some circumstances.
Symptoms: Errors like
Cannot upgrade scene behaviour 'SomethingOrOther' since its prefab must be upgraded
How to Fix: Unpack the prefab in your 0.x UdonSharp project first. You can also open the "Udon Sharp" menu item and choose "Force Upgrade".
Does Not Belong to U# Assembly
Issue: Libraries with their own Assembly Definitions need to have an U# assembly definition, too.
Symptoms: An error like this:
[UdonSharp] Script 'Assets/MyScript.cs' does not belong to a U# assembly, have you made a U# assembly definition for the assembly the script is a part of?
How to Fix:
- Use the Project window to find the file ending in
.asmdefin the same or a parent directory of the script in question.
- Right-click in the folder which has this Assembly Definition and choose
Create > U# Assembly Definition.
- Select this new U# asmdef, and use the inspector to set its "Source Assembly" to the other Assembly Definition File.
- You may need to restart Unity after doing this.
Issue: Some packages include their own copy of this JSON library, which the VRCSDK pulls in itself. This results in two copies of the library.
Symptoms: Errors in your console which mention the above library. It might not be at the front of the sentence, but something like
System.TypeInitializationException: the type initializer for blah blah blah...Assets/SketchfabForUnity/Dependencies/Libraries/Newtonsoft.Json.dll
How to Fix: Remove any copies of Newtonsoft.Json.dll from your Assets folder. The VRCSDK will provide it for any package that needs it through the Package Manager.
Other breaking changes
- Your U# behaviour name must match the .cs file name
- Duplicate program assets may not reference the same
- Program assets must point to a script and may not be empty
- Editor scripting is now different: Data is owned by a C# proxy of the UdonSharpBehaviour, and the corresponding UdonBehaviour is empty until runtime.
- Obsoleted overloads for station and player join events may no longer be used
Follow these steps to upgrade a project that uses a version of UdonSharp below 1.0 without using the Creator Companion:
- Back up your project.
- Delete the VRCSDK folder, Udon folder, UdonSharp folder, and Gizmos/UdonSharp folders from your project's "Assets" folder.
- Download and install the Unity Package versions of the World SDK.
- Download and install the Unity Package version of the UdonSharp SDK.